POSITION TITLE: Custodian
PROGRAM: Triage & Windchimes
SALARY: $19.39/hour to start
TYPE: Permanent Part-Time, 0.92 FTE
SCHEDULE: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:00am-3:00pm; Tuesday and Thursday, 8:00am-4:00pm, includes a 30 minute unpaid meal break
START DATE: As soon as possible
Pursuant to the Provincial Health Officer’s Order, the incumbent of this position is required to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
To apply please include your resume, with a cover letter describing your suitability for this position, in an email with the subject line of “job2021.346” to: Sherri Matt, Operations Manager, at email@example.com
RainCity Housing is an organization that makes a difference in people’s lives. With a goal of providing a home for everyone, RainCity’s programs sustain relationships, strengthen communities and make change for people experiencing homelessness and mental health, trauma and substance use issues. We invite you to be a part of the change.
RainCity Housing serves a diverse group of people and we need a staff group that reflects the diversity. People of diverse backgrounds and cultures are encouraged to apply.
The Custodian performs basic janitorial, maintenance and repair duties for the Program facility such as unplugging sinks and toilets, filling small holes in walls / ceilings, touching up paint, checking oil and fluid levels, and replacing tap washers, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, and door handles. Also cleans external areas and cleans, washes, and disinfects building areas. Assists program staff with preparing rooms for new tenants, including pest control. Performs basic security duties such as patrolling buildings and grounds. Also interacts with and takes direction from the Operations Manager or designate as needed.
The Triage Centre provides emergency housing and care for people living with mental health, substance use and other challenges. There are 28 shelter rooms. Clients are able to stay longer than at most shelters, which gives shelter staff time to help them access appropriate support services based on their individual needs and circumstances. Referrals are accepted from individuals themselves, hospitals, community service providers, health-care practitioners, employment assistance workers and other local shelters. Windchimes – 27 units providing long-term housing for people living with mental health concerns. RainCity Housing staff provides supports.
Many forms of education and experience are valued, including volunteering and lived experience of mental illness / addiction/ homelessness; Minimum education and experience includes:
- Grade 12
- Certificate in First Aid
- Building Service Worker Certificate
- Recent, related experience of 1 year
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Key Skills and Abilities – for supporting people receiving our services
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with tenants
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability to collaborate with staff team and external services
- Ability to constructively resolve conflict with co-workers, management and external services
- Demonstrates understanding of oppression and marginalization as related to homeless individuals.