POSITION TITLE: Custodian
PROGRAM: Princess Rooms and Jubilee Rooms
SALARY: $19.39/hour to start
TYPE: Permanent Part-Time, 0.746 FTE
SCHEDULE: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am to 4:00pm (Jubilee), Wednesday-Thursday 8:00am-3:00pm (Princess Rooms); includes a 30 minute unpaid meal break
START DATE: As soon as possible
To apply please include your resume, with a cover letter describing your suitability for this position, in an email with the subject line of “job2021.222” to: Sherri Matt, Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
RainCity Housing is an organization that makes a difference in people’s lives. With a goal of providing a home for everyone, RainCity’s programs sustain relationships, strengthen communities and make change for people experiencing homelessness and mental health, trauma and substance use issues. We invite you to be a part of the change.
RainCity Housing serves a diverse group of people and we need a staff group that reflects the diversity. People of diverse backgrounds and cultures are encouraged to apply.
The Custodian performs basic janitorial, maintenance and repair duties for the Program facility such as unplugging sinks and toilets, filling small holes in walls / ceilings, touching up paint, checking oil and fluid levels, and replacing tap washers, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, and door handles. Also cleans external areas and cleans, washes, and disinfects building areas. Assists program staff with preparing rooms for new tenants, including pest control. Performs basic security duties such as patrolling buildings and grounds. Also interacts with and takes direction from the Operations Manager or designate as needed.
Princess Rooms is a minimal barrier, high tolerance environment that follows a harm reduction/health promotion philosophy. Support workers provide an environment which is accepting of client’s lives, yet which also provides alternative experiences and opportunities. The team works collaboratively with clients and the community to create alternatives to homelessness, with the goal of a return to health, hope and stability. The program begins with a patient, persistent engagement process and harm reduction interventions in all areas of the tenant’s life. Staff members work with each person to build a plan that is based on their individual strengths and motivations.
Many forms of education and experience are valued, including volunteering and lived experience of mental illness / addiction/ homelessness; Minimum education and experience includes:
- Grade 12
- Certificate in First Aid
- Building Service Worker Certificate
- Recent, related experience of 1 year
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Key Skills and Abilities – for supporting people receiving our services
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with tenants
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability to collaborate with staff team and external services
- Ability to constructively resolve conflict with co-workers, management and external services
- Demonstrates understanding of oppression and marginalization as related to homeless individuals.