POSITION TITLE: Building Maintenance Worker/Custodian/Community Health Worker
PROGRAM: Gibsons Modular Housing
SALARY: $20.89/hour to start
TYPE: Permanent, Full-Time, 1.0 FTE
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm, includes a 30 minute unpaid meal break
START DATE: As soon as possible
To apply please include your resume, with a cover letter describing your suitability for this position, in an email with the subject line of “job2021.186” to: Renee Bergeron, Operations Manager, at email@example.com
RainCity Housing is an organization that makes a difference in people’s lives. With a goal of providing a home for everyone, RainCity’s programs sustain relationships, strengthen communities and make change for people experiencing homelessness and mental health, trauma and substance use issues. We invite you to be a part of the change.
RainCity Housing serves a diverse group of people and we need a staff group that reflects the diversity. People of diverse backgrounds and cultures are encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager or designate, the CHSBMW performs janitorial duties, home support duties and maintenance and basic repair duties for the Program facility in the areas of electrical, plumbing, painting, carpentry, and grounds keeping. Interacts with and takes direction from the Program Manager or designate as needed. This position also participates in shift changes with shelter support workers.
the Gibsons Modular housing will provide single room occupancy (SRO) housing to low-income individuals 19 years of age or older who live in the community, have a history of homelessness and who need additional support services to maintain housing. This supported housing program will be staffed by a combination of support workers, including an Indigenous Cultural Liaison Support Worker and a Peer Services Support Worker. Each unit will contain a private bathroom with toilet, shower and sink, as well as a kitchenette. The building will have 24 hour/ 7 day a week staffing, with a minimum of two staff working on site to maintain the building, deliver programs, support tenants and ensure a safe environment within the building. The program supports also include an onsite kitchen facility and a cook to prepare at least one hot meal per day. The building will also have custodial, home support and facilities management staff.
Many forms of education and experience are valued, including volunteering and lived experience of mental illness / addiction/ homelessness; Minimum education and experience includes:
• Grade 12
• Current Certificate in First Aid
• Completion of BCNPHA building maintenance and janitorial courses
• Recent, related experience of 2 years
• Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
• Class 5 Drivers Licens
Key Skills and Abilities – for supporting people receiving our services
• Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with tenants
• Home management skills
• Ability to observe and recognize changes in tenants
• Ability to respond to problematic behavior using an understanding of the behavior’s context
• Ability to informally teach skills that increase tenant’s ability to self-manage their homes
• Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions
• Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
• Ability to collaborate with staff team and external services
• Ability to constructively resolve conflict with co-workers, management and external services
• Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally
• Ability to organize and prioritize duties
• Ability to operate related equipment
• Physically able to carry out the duties of the position including ability to safety lift 50lbs.