POSITION TITLE: Home Support Worker/Housekeeper
PROGRAM: Jubilee Rooms, Vancouver
SALARY: $18.23 (bcgeu grid 1)
POSITION TYPE: Permanent Full-Time, 1.0 FTE
START DATE: as soon as possible
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm, includes 30-minute unpaid meal break
To apply, please quote competition # 255 and send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop off: 616 Powell St, Vancouver BC
Job Summary: Helps ensure tenant rooms meet health and safety requirements by providing home support services to tenants such as housekeeping, laundry, supporting tenants to learn housekeeping skills, collecting and disposing of needles, assisting staff with pest control preparation.
Program Description: The Jubilee Rooms provides around 80 units of single room occupancy (SRO) housing to people that are long term residents of the Downtown Eastside community. This is a supported housing program that is staffed by a combination of Tenant Support Workers, Indigenous Cultural Liaisons and a Peer specialist – all staff will oversee the front desk assisting with managing guests as well as providing community supports. The building is a combination of two SRO’s – four stories each with no elevator, lots of stairs and shared bathrooms and showers on every floor. The program includes one meal a day and a light breakfast. The staff office is on the second floor with the safe use room right beside it. Over the next year the main floor commercial space will be transformed into a community space for the tenants and staff along with a community kitchen in the back
Diversity: RainCity Housing serves a diverse group of people and we need a staff group that reflects the diversity. People of diverse backgrounds and cultures are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications: many forms of education and experience are valued, including volunteering and lived experience of mental illness / addiction/ homelessness; Minimum education and experience includes:
- Graduate of Grade 12.
- One year of related experience.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification.
Key Skills and Abilities – for supporting people receiving our services
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with tenants
- Home management skills
- Ability to observe and recognise changes in tenants
- Ability to respond to problematic behaviour using an understanding of the behaviour’s context and function
- Ability to informally teach skills that increase tenant’s ability to self-manage their homes
- Ability to analyse problems and develop effective solutions
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability to collaborate with staff team and external services
- Ability to constructively resolve conflict with co-workers, management and external services
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally
- Ability to organise and prioritise duties
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Physically able to carry out the duties of the position
- Demonstrates understanding of oppression and marginalization as related to chronically homeless individuals.