POSITION TITLE: Custodian
PROGRAM: Various locations across the lower mainland
SALARY: $18.23- $20.16 (bcgeu grid 3)
SCHEDULE: Casual relief on call
START DATE: As soon as possible
to apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
please quote competition: # CUST122
drop off: 616 Powell St, Vancouver BC
RainCity Housing and Support Society is hiring Custodians for casual, on call, and relief employment throughout the lower mainland. Custodians clean the common areas of our shelters and housing developments. The successful candidates will have experience with janitorial or other cleaning work, be organized and hard-working, and have good interpersonal and communication skills. They will also be available for work at least 3 days a week during business hours. Successful applicants will have an empathetic perspective on marginalization, substance use, and other issues our clients face. RainCity is a progressive workplace and our staff are unionized.
JOB SUMMARY: The Custodian performs basic janitorial, maintenance and repair duties for the Program facility such as unplugging sinks and toilets, filling small holes in walls / ceilings, touching up paint, checking oil and fluid levels, and replacing tap washers, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, and door handles. Also cleans external areas and cleans, washes, and disinfects building areas. Assists program staff with preparing rooms for new tenants, including pest control. Performs basic security duties such as patrolling buildings and grounds. Also interacts with and takes direction from the Operations Manager or designate as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: many forms of education and experience are valued, including volunteering and lived experience of mental illness / addiction/ homelessness; Minimum education and experience includes:
- Grade 12
- Certificate in First Aid
- Building Service Worker Certificate
- Recent, related experience of 1 year
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Class 5 Drivers License
KEY SKILLS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with tenants
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability to collaborate with staff team and external services
- Ability to constructively resolve conflict with co-workers, management and external services
- Demonstrates understanding of oppression and marginalization as related to homeless individuals.
DIVERSITY: RainCity Housing serves a diverse group of people and we need a staff group that reflects the diversity. People of diverse backgrounds and cultures are encouraged to apply.