Maintenance Worker- Various Programs Across the Lower Mainland
POSITION TITLE: Building Maintenance Worker
PROGRAM: Various Programs Across the Lower Mainland
SALARY: $21.07 to start (bcgeu grid 18)
POSITION TYPE: Casual Relief
START DATE: as soon as possible
SCHEDULE: casual relief shifts available Monday-Friday, 8:00am- 4:00pm
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com quoting job competition # 186
RainCity Housing and Support Society is hiring for our Maintenance Department. Successful applicants will possess a broad range of skills including basic plumbing, electrical, wall repair and painting. A driver’s license is required. You will work in a diverse and dynamic team environment helping maintain our low barrier housing stock. Successful applicants will bring great interpersonal skills and an keen sense of social justice to the work. A solid ability to work around active substance use and acute mental health situations is a must.
We are looking for casual workers who want to make a direct and positive impact in the lives of our clients and tenants.
Diversity: RainCity Housing serves a diverse group of people and we need a staff group that reflects the diversity. People of diverse backgrounds and cultures are encouraged to apply. We encourage applications from women (cis, trans), gender diverse, and Two-Spirit individuals.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Maintenance Manager or designate, the Maintenance Worker performs janitorial duties, home support duties and maintenance and basic repair duties for the Program facility in the areas of electrical, plumbing, painting, carpentry, and grounds keeping. Interacts with and takes direction from the Program Manager or designate as needed. This position also participates in shift changes with shelter support workers.
Reports to: Maintenance Manager.
Takes direction from: Operations Manager, Program Manager, and the Facilities Operations Coordinator.
Qualifications: Many forms of education and experience are valued, including volunteering and lived experience of mental illness / addiction/ homelessness; Minimum education and experience includes:
- Grade 12
- Current Certificate in First Aid
- Completion of BCNPHA building maintenance and janitorial courses
- Recent, related experience of 2 years
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Class 5 Drivers License
Key Skills and Abilities – for supporting people receiving our services
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with tenants
- Home management skills
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in tenants
- Ability to respond to problematic behavior using an understanding of the behavior’s context
- Ability to informally teach skills that increase tenant’s ability to self-manage their homes
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability to collaborate with staff team and external services
- Ability to constructively resolve conflict with co-workers, management and external services
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally
- Ability to organize and prioritize duties
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Physically able to carry out the duties of the position including ability to safety lift 50lbs.